Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cloth Diaper Update

So many people are amazed that we cloth diaper.  I don't really understand it.  Oh my goodness, we tie stuff around our son's butt so that poop and pee don't go everywhere!  We have to wash that stuff, though, instead of throwing it away.  I don't understand what's the big deal. 

I also don't understand the sun.  The sun = a miracle. 

Seriously.  Look:

Photobucket

That's a clean diaper.  It's stained from poop.  (All together now - ewwwwww).   I change Atticus' diaper in front of people sometimes, and even though the stained diapers don't bother me, I don't want people to think that I'm putting dirty diapers back on my baby's butt.  

That's gross. 

Just so we're clear: washing poopy diapers = not gross.  Clean diapers that still look poopy = disgusting. 

So, I totally dry the diaper shells on the hood of my car to remove the stains:

Photobucket

See?  Gone.  GONE.  The poop is GONE. 

(Ding, dong, the poop is gone, the poop is gone, the poop is gone.  Ding, dong, the wicked poop is gone!)  <-- You sang along with me, didn't you?

Photobucket

And yes, that is the exact same diaper.  Atticus only pooped once in 5 days, so it was the only diaper in the load of laundry that had one iota of poop residue on it. 

You can also put your clothes out in the sun to remove some stains.  If your husband won't make a laundry line for you, I recommend towels on the hood of your car for a laundry rack.  It works beautifully. 

Here's my diaper stash (part of it):

Photobucket

I seriously love diaper laundry day.  I like to stuff the inserts, organize the diapers by color, by my order of preference, and by their purpose.  Some diapers are thinner.  Some are better for night time.  I love them all. :)

Here's a breakdown of my current stash, but you should know that I'm considering selling some of my bumgenius 4.0s to buy some more fuzzibunz. 

4 bumGenius Organic Elementals
14 bumGenius 4.0s
6 Rumparoos OS 
2 Fuzzibunz OS

So, I have 26 diapers, and I usually do diaper laundry every four days or so.  

And yes, I still LOVE them. :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea that sun could do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was SHOCKED the first time I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have loved using cloth with all three of our kids - pockets and also prefolds/wraps.

    Did you know you can get black Fuzzi Bunz now? I couldn't resist getting one for my little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sara Where have you seen a black fuzzibunz? I have only seen a black Happy Heiny! I'd love a black fb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ashley @ The Hagaboaters

    I had to go back and look it up because they are only sold at one store - Nicki's Diapers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am interested in cloth diapering my daughter. I currently use disposable but am considering switching to cloth. Do you have any advice? I feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. How do you clean them? In your regular washer? What about the poopie ones? Sorry for all the questions but I just have so many!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Colie, I'm at the beach right now. Email me at ashleyhagaman @ gmail and I'll write you back. :)

    ReplyDelete