Monday, May 9, 2011

My Motherhood Must Haves (for the First Two Months)

DSC_0098
Me wearing Atticus in a Moby Wrap
1) A Moby Wrap
Words cannot describe how much I love the Moby Wrap.  I have two:  a black one, and the one I'm wearing in the above picture.  I was so intimidated by it, but I watched youtube video after youtube video on the many ways to tie it, and I practiced with a Cabbage Patch Doll.  Atticus loves being in it, and I love the freedom of being able to carry around my baby while still having two free hands.  It's so convenient for boating (duh), grocery shopping (because you're technically not supposed to put the car seat on top of the buggy anyway), and cleaning the house.  The max weight it will accommodate is 35 lbs., so hopefully we have at least a couple more months before Atticus tops that. :)

diaper cream
Because we cloth diaper, we are kind of limited in the diaper rash goop we can use.  Apparently, creams like Desitin and A&D will cause cloth diapers to repel urine instead of soak it up.  We don't want that, so I'm all stocked up in this balm.  Cloth diapers have never given Atticus diaper rash, but the few times that I ran out of clean diapers and put him in disposables for a few hours, he got it pretty much immediately.  This balm cleared it up immediately.  I have been putting a small amount on him before he goes to bed because I no longer change his diaper in the middle of the night if he wakes up.  He's going 8-10 hours in one cloth diaper with no rash.  I have used about 25% of one jar, and we've been using it for about 6 weeks, so it lasts a long time.  It also smells really good and can be put on cuts and scrapes as an ointment.  I love multi-purpose products!


monitor
Summer Slim & Clear Digital Monitor
3) Summer Slim & Clear Digital Audio Monitor
We don't co-sleep.  We don't even co-room.  Since Atticus came home from the hospital, he has slept in his room, in his crib.  (Well, except for the firs two nights when he slept in the pack and play, and I slept on the couch right next to it.  I was afraid I wouldn't hear him.  How naive of me.)  Michael and I sleep with our bedroom door closed, as does Atticus.  I needed a monitor that had a wide range of volume levels, two receivers, and wasn't cheesy/baby looking.  I know some parents may prefer one of those video monitors or the one that tells you if the baby stops moving, but I knew if I had one of those, I'd obsess over him.  If I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee, I don't go check on Atticus if he wasn't what woke me up.  Oh, the horror!  A mom who doesn't check on her baby!  He might smell me or hear me and wake up.  I'd prefer he get sound sleep and wake up when he's ready.  I know very well that "something" could happen to him, but we practice safe sleeping habits, so if "something" happens to him, it's not going to be prevented by my constant checking on him in the middle of the night.  Anyway, this monitor is perfect.  I have the thingy in his room across the room from him so that it won't pick up his little sighs and grunts.  I have one monitor on my night stand that I keep on level 1, and the other is in the den on max volume.  I can hear it over the TV, over the mixer in the kitchen, or throughout the house if I'm cleaning downstairs.


swaddle
Michael and I are swaddle challenged.  We could NOT figure out how to wrap a blanket around Atticus without him escaping it five minutes later.  These SwaddleMe contraptions have been a life saver.  Atticus sleeps so much deeper/longer when he's swaddled, and the little Houdini can't get out of these bad boys.  


huggies wipes
Yes, we cloth diaper.  That doesn't gross me out at all.  Cloth wipes?  Give me the creeps.  We were very fortunate to be gifted many kinds of baby wipes, but these are HANDS DOWN my favorite.  They are fragrance free and SO thick.  All the vitamins I'm still taking for breastfeeding cause my fingernails to grow like weeds.  My nails don't cut through these wipes like they do some of the cheap ones.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment